Monday: we left Jasper on Friday and we travelled, on a train 🚂 for two days, on a ferry ⛴ for one, we arrived in Port Hardy.

So we left Jasper and Annelies and got a taxi a very short distance to the railway station.


What’s not to like about two owls? They’re on the right, by the way! The railway station was so quaint but ‘goods trains’ come first, whatever happens. And we sat in the sunshine waiting for its arrival and then boarded the Skeena Pacific Railway to Port George.


‘Beverley’ and her boss ‘Jean- Francois’ were excellent dispensers of food, drink and knowledge. We went past waterfalls, rivers and went through some stunning countryside.

Now and then, we would come to a complete stop while a goods train some two miles long passed us by. Now and then, we would stop and wait for a goods train to come and pass us. Now and then, a goods train would go slowly past us. So you get the picture we arrived in Prince George very late, luckily Peter was there to pick us up and we more or less hit the hay.

Up again at 5-45, bless them they gave us breakfast. So bye, bye Peter & Julie Griffiths and Dash the dog! All too quick a visit but our first non en-suite bathroom, which was fine.

Back on the Skeena to Prince Rupert; really late, pouring with rain and left eventually, with our suitcases, by a taxi outside the Eagle Bluff B&B in the pouring rain. It was like a scene from a film; just waiting for someone to say ‘cut, hold the rain please special effects, our thesbians are getting wet,’ Mary crept around saying, “Hello!” And an, “Hello!” came back, but from where? “Hello!” “Hello!” and suddenly a door down below the porch opened and light poured out. Inside and a warm welcome from Bryan Cox; then shown to our room and straight to be bed. Now midnight and in bed by twelve thirty; alarm set for 4-45am. Is this really a ‘holiday’, in the strict sense of the word? 5-15am breakfast from Mary Allen and the fastest hello and goodbye on record. No pictures of these good folk.

The bedrooms are getting less glamorous!

Back by taxi to the Ferry this time once more in the pouring rain. Check in was fairly easy, we had a cabin that looked really inviting and a perfect comfortable seat in a lounge right at the front of the ferry. Had the weather been clear, the view would have been phenomenal! It did clear after lunch and Mary spotted a bear and lots of whales.

But we had our cabin to relax in and ate a very reasonable dinner. We stopped at Bella Bella, for a really long time, which caused an overrun.

So, a late arriving ferry and Malcolm got lots of brownie points by pre ordering a taxi to ‘An Ocean Storm B & B’  arriving so late that a note was left on the door, ‘Come on in, your name is on your room.’ Our hosts are Michele and Dave and he is a logger, i.e. a proper lumberjack. Quite a few exciting shots bird shots of Mary’s.

That will probably do for now. Tomorrow away to the Bear Lodge! We had a great day today; hired another car just for the day and a half we are here. Not planned but great organisation by Michele to get one and we were on the road exploring by 10-30 am. Quite how this trip up happened not too sure but all got resolved. Even the lovely lady taxi driver who brought us here last night said, “Gee, you are so far out of town!”

Definitely no wi-fi at Bear Lodge, so see you all back here on Friday. Probably your Saturday by then and that will be the end of week three; only three more to go. How did that happen?

M & M 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦




Published by

Malcolm and Mary

Malcolm worked for LWT. Mary worked for TRL. They live near Camberley in Surrey and did achieve their life long ambition to visit New Zealand. They have two daughters Laura and Hannah and two grandchildren Zach & Safi. Having done the big trip they then went to Canada, which was amazing. Scroll down it’s all here. They have visited Venice that they both so fell in love with in 2009 again. And recently returned to Lefkada for one week in glorious sunshine. Where next? Well, Canada is calling again in 2019; this time including Alaska. So stay tuned if you enjoy the ups and downs of travelling.

2 thoughts on “Monday: we left Jasper on Friday and we travelled, on a train 🚂 for two days, on a ferry ⛴ for one, we arrived in Port Hardy.”

Please feel free to leave a message or comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s