Tuesday in Franz Joseph. Don’t panic!

The page in our Audley itinerary handbook read,”At leisure in Franz Joseph Glacier, recommendations for your free time.” And that’s when our problems began. Wherever that had appeared before we had done a little bit of exploring and sight seeing and then stayed the night again and then moved on the following day. OK we admit it was correct in the short itinerary, “1 x studio unit” and the next day move on to Wanaka Springs. We admit it was correct in the little piece of paper that had all our voucher numbers on, just the one night at Franz Joseph. But that “at leisure” lulled us into a false sense of security. So we decided to go off straight after breakfast at a nearby cafe (breakfast was not provided at the “studio unit.) and visit the glacier.

So the last sight our dear host at 58 On Cron Motel saw of us, was us driving out for breakfast. We then headed happily for the glacier.

The Franz Joseph glacier.
The Franz Joseph glacier.

We then pottered off to town and had a look round. Managed to buy to extra ‘memory cards’ at the gas station (petrol to you and me!) in case all our photographing efforts filled our old ones up and ordered two packed lunches to take on the fairly long journey to Wanaka for the following day. We had studied the route and decided we would eat these at some wonderful location en route. We then headed for a nearby Okarito Lagoon and saw a white heron, a fairly rare sight in New Zealand. It was now round about lunchtime and we pulled in at a restaurant calked the Oasis and as we had both had hearty breakfasts we plumped for the home made pea soup to tide us over till dinner. All was calm and tranquil and it was turning into a wonderful pottery type day.

The white heron. NZ population only 200.
The white heron. NZ population only 200.

For some reason I decided to get my phone from the car to see if there were any messages. It was at this point all hell broke lose. A message zoomed out at me that we had left our luggage at the Motel. Some mistake we thought, it wasn’t just our luggage but our whole lives. There was an iPad on charge, all the bathroom gear in the bathroom, all the washing from yesterday on the spare bed, both suitcases and books and ‘ology wires all over the place.

We needed all these to charge, download and keep the blog going.
We needed all these to charge, download and keep the blog going.

We called the New Zealand fixers, to try and clear up the obvious error on the Motels part: only to double check our details and then realise what a huge cock up had occurred on our behalf. Luckily we were only 10 minutes away and as we slide gracefully into the Motel compound the lovely receptionist Ann was just finishing a call to the local police to tell them to call off the hunt for the two idiot tourists, as all was now well and they had returned back. She had been really concerned that as we were leaving that morning (cough,cough) something ghastly must have befallen us, as we had not returned after breakfast, collected our belongings and gone on our way. Gulp and double gulp.

She had kept on a member of the cleaning staff and all our belongings were now in plastic bags, cardboard boxes and in the boot of her car along with our suitcases. It cost us $50 NZ but we were happy to cover the cost of the hired help staying on but I’m not too sure it covered our embarrassment. We were now faced at 2-30 with a drive that was scheduled to take most of the day. Cancelling our lovely picnic lunches on our way out we hit the road for Wanaka with some considerable trepidation.

We didn't take many pictures because we just didn't stop!
We didn’t take many pictures because we just didn’t stop!

So that was Tuesday. Thank you for reading. Wednesdays saga won’t be too long in coming! M & M

Published by

Malcolm and Mary

Malcolm worked for LWT. Mary worked for TRL. They live near Camberley in Surrey and did achieve their life long ambition to visit New Zealand. They have two daughters Laura and Hannah and two grandchildren Zach & Safi. Having done the big trip they then went to Canada, which was amazing. Scroll down it’s all here. They have visited Venice that they both so fell in love with in 2009 again. And recently returned to Lefkada for one week in glorious sunshine. Where next? Well, Canada is calling again in 2019; this time including Alaska. So stay tuned if you enjoy the ups and downs of travelling.

14 thoughts on “Tuesday in Franz Joseph. Don’t panic!”

  1. Whoa! Well, well, well! I guess he didn’t like cats which was my other one?
    The guy was in Italy and I just couldn’t resist ! Thanks Simon just about to put the light out before heading off tomorrow on the trip to Milford Sound. What a great end to the day. That Advanced class ain’t easy. Malcolm

  2. What a wonderful tale, when you’ve stopped blushing you can dine out on it for years!! Take care ️xxx

    Sent from my iPhone


  3. Oh my, not funny at the time but something you will always remember! Reminds me of some of the long drives we’ve done in the U.S. I’m keeping the bail money handy …………. just in case! Sandra

  4. Blimey! I take it they expected you to clear the room immediately after the bteakfast they didn’t provide?
    Good job you weren’t far away!!


  5. Your blog is helping me vicariously relive our New Zealand trip – I well remember the joint rail/road bridge as we crossed it in the coach. Scary stuff! And I hugely enjoyed your admin omnishambles at the next stop – just the sort of thing I would do! Keep up the good work! Mike

Please feel free to leave a message or comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s